How do I configure my Macintosh to print?
Last updated: February 11th, 2016 03:30 PM
All printing is done using the LPR/LPD protocol to our print server, printsrv.cs.pitt.edu. This is not a website. Please follow the instructions below.Determine the manufacturer and model number of the printer you wish to use and download the correct driver from the manufacturer's web site. When you install it, it may try to take you through a dialog to add a printer definition. You can try that, making sure to specify LPD printing over IP to printsrv.cs.pitt.edu using the name of the printer as the queue name. If it does not prompt you to add a printer definition, or if the definition doesn't work, then follow these steps:
- Click on System Preferences->Print and Fax. If necessary, click on the padlock and enter your password to make changes.
- Click on the + sign to add a printer.
- Click on IP
- Set the Protocol to Line Printer Daemon - LPD
- Set the Address to printsrv.cs.pitt.edu
- Set the Queue to the name of the printer, e.g. ps2
- Set the Name to the name of the printer, too.
- (optional) Set the location to the building and room number, e.g. 6146 SenSq
- Set the Print Using to "Select a driver to use..." or "Select Software" dependent on your operation system version.
- Choose the correct driver for the make and model printer you wish to use
- Click Add
You may be shown a screen asking for Installed Options. The table above lists the options for each public printer.
When printing via WIRELESS-PITTNET, you must activate the VPN in order to print.